The Kansas City Defender is committed to unbiased, independent journalism. Funds from advertising and sponsored content allow The Kansas City Defender to cover operating costs and expand coverage. The following policy explains how The Kansas City Defender protects our journalistic integrity and the trust of our readers while working with advertisers and sponsors.
All advertising policies are independent of editorial decisions. The Kansas City Defender does not endorse any product or service marked as an advertisement or promoted by a sponsor in The Kansas City Defender publications. Editorial content is not compromised by commercial or financial interests, or by any specific arrangements with advertising clients or sponsors. Advertisements may not be deceptive or misleading and must be verifiable. Advertisements should clearly identify the advertiser and product or service being offered. However, The Kansas City Defender is willing to present an honest and unbiased review of a product or service for Instagram Reels or the YouTube channel as part of a multi-topic video/post.
This policy covers all functions within The Kansas City Defender and any affiliates that involve advertising operations.
It is the responsibility of Ryan Sorrell, Founder and Editor-in-Chief, to ensure compliance with this policy.
The Kansas City Defender has the right to decline any advertisement that, in its sole discretion, is incompatible with its mission or inconsistent with the values of The Kansas City Defender, the publication/website or the organization, and to stop accepting advertising previously accepted. Ads are subject to review by the editor and others at The Kansas City Defender. The Kansas City Defender has no conflict of interest in what, when, or how we publish content, regardless of sponsorship status. In no case shall separate agreements with The Kansas City Defender or its affiliates supersede this policy.
- All native/content advertisements/sponsorships are labeled with “Sponsored” text., i.e. sponsored by, made possible by, in partnership with, together with.
- Ads that contain a URL or domain in the body must link to that same URL or domain.
- Ads must send users to the same landing page when the ad is clicked.
- Landing pages cannot use “fake” close behavior or any of the spam behavior which is recognized as malware.
- Ads must directly relate to the content on the landing page.
- Ads must clearly represent the company, product, or service that is being advertised.
Advertising for the following categories is prohibited:
- Ads must not be false, misleading, fraudulent, or deceptive.
- Ads cannot insult, harass, or threaten a user.
- Ads cannot contain, facilitate, promote or reference the following:
- [INCLUDE EVERYTHING YOU WILL NOT ADVERTISE – this can include things like inappropriate language, libelous content, tobacco, firearms, gambling, contents, fundraising for other organizations, adult content, etc].
Violations of this policy may lead to consequences up to and including the removal of the ad being served on The Kansas City Defender sites and related material.
Reservation of Rights
The Kansas City Defender reserves the right to modify or terminate this Policy with or without notice.
ADVERTISING COMPLAINTS POLICY
Please send any complaints about advertising/sponsorship to [email protected]
The Kansas City Defender retains editorial control of our content. Funding partners do not have input into stories that will be produced, are not aware of specific stories we are working on, do not review them before publication, and do not have special access to reporters (with the exception of sponsored content that will be clearly marked). We will always disclose who our funding partners are. Partners must review our full sponsorship policy and sign a sponsorship agreement before entering into a partnership with The Kansas City Defender.